In diving, the athlete needs to jump the hurdle, or make the
board bounce with their step. I mastered this principle earlier in the year,
and thought I had created permanent memory. I then found myself ignoring my coach’s
constant plea for me to jump the hurdle. I was convinced that my bad dives were
because of another mistake. Finally, my coach pointed out that I was not
listening. I was very angry at first, but then tried to jump my hurdle like he
had asked. What do you know! He was right, and I was too stubborn to listen the
first time.
I related this to the
Gospel of Jesus Christ. Sometimes we know the answer to a question, but we
don't know how to apply it. Mormons are taught that going to church
and daily prayer are essential to being close to Christ. If we are not reminded
over and over, it is easy to be lead a stray and forget these important
principles. My experience was a beautiful reminder that I might know
the answers to everything, but I don't remember to apply them. We need to humble ourselves and
listen to the critics around us.
I want to be quicker at listening to my diving, and spiritual coaches.
Being open to advice does not show weakness, but shows strength to move forward and
progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment